Sunday, April 25, 2010

I Feel Like a Lane Bryant Ad

You may have heard that ABC and Fox wouldn’t air this Lane Bryant ad, claiming it was too racy.



Anyone who has ever seen a Victoria’s Secret commercial knows this is a ridiculous claim. Like many other people, I have been forced to conclude that the networks had a problem with the fact that the ad features a plus-size woman instead of Victoria’s Secret models.

Last night I had a mini-reunion with some college friends from out of town including a statuesque blonde who once was my soon-to-be-ex-husband’s lab partner. She’s a great woman who, if her stories of hanging out with U.S. senators and Middle Eastern royalty are any indication, travels in very different circles than I do. But once upon a time, we were both students at an obscure little college in Maine, and we were both friends with my husband.

Over the years, I have often thought that he should have married her instead of me. I have often thought that he might have ended up with me because I pursued him, and it was easier to go with a sure thing than to put himself out there to pursue someone who might have seemed out of reach.

Lately I’ve been spending time with a fun and interesting guy who also happens to be ridiculously attractive. It’s a casual kind of thing we’ve got going, so I know I should just relax and enjoy it instead of over-thinking it the way I over-think everything. But in the back of my mind, there is this nagging little voice that won’t let me just enjoy it. It’s the voice that tells me I’m not good enough (meaning attractive enough) for him, that he’s just killing time with me until somebody better comes along, that I’m a fool to think that I am anything to him but a sure thing.

I invited him over this afternoon, and he told me he had to help his roommate clean the house. So now I can’t help thinking that nobody tells the Victoria’s Secret girl, or the statuesque blonde, that they can’t see her because they have to clean the house. I can’t help feeling like the Lane Bryant girl who showed up to the network party and couldn’t get past the velvet ropes.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I don't usually comment on blogs but I had to speak up on this one. :) Try to remember that there are quite a few men out there that would much rather have the Lane Bryant girl! I need to lose a few (ok- a lot) of pounds too and my hubby fully supports me- as long as I don't lose my curves. Some men like to have the Victoria's Secret girl on their arms but after awhile, they realize that they'd rather be with a woman who enjoys a good steak, won't break if they get frisky in bed and who will flaunt their Lane Bryant bodies without constantly worrying about the ounce of fat they may have gain from eating a peanut butter cup. :)

It's easy to over-think things, especially when you are going through a divorce. Maybe he loves the fact that you're a Lane Bryant girl but his roommate threatened to kick him out if he didn't start cleaning some of the moldy dishes. When my hubby was single and living with his friends, they would take a day every few weeks and clean the house together- usually when it got to the point that they had no clean dishes and couldn't afford takeout.

Good luck and go get yourself some of that underwear!

Melvin said...

I am one of those men who prefers the Lane Bryant type. As I mentioned in a comment to one of your previous posts, you are absolutely gorgeous. I based that comment on your head shot. The notion that you may physically resemble one of the Lane Bryant models only reinforces my initial observation. Regarding your "friend," you are reading too much into it. The unattractive thing about any woman, Lane Bryant or Victoria Secret type, is lack of confidence. Chin up.