Thursday, November 22, 2012

Milestones, Birthdays and Goals

It's Thanksgiving, and I have a lot to be thankful for, not the least of which is my health.  Two years ago on Thanksgiving, I ran my first 5K race at a pace that seems slow to me now.  Last year I was just easing back into roller derby after recovering from surgery.  This morning I got up and ran the three-mile loop through my hometown in Maine.  I've never run that loop before.  It's something I always secretly wished I could do.

My birthday was on Sunday. I turned 38. I'm the oldest woman on my roller derby team. (Though not the oldest in the league.)  I'm very proud of that.  And very thankful for my team.  My first bout with them was Saturday, the day before my birthday.  It was a great birthday present, and I can't imagine what my life would be like without this crazy, wonderful sport and the amazing women who play it.

I can't wait to see how much I will have improved as a roller derby skater by this time next year.  As I wrote earlier this month, consistent attendance is my short-term goal.  The only way to get better, after all, is to show up.  But I've been thinking about my long-term goal, too.  Eventually I want to play at the national level with the DC Allstars.  It will take a lot of work to get there, but I'm declaring, today, that I'd like to do it by my 40th birthday, two years from now.

No comments: